Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Plain Sweet Thin & Crispy (with a soft middle) Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Kitchen of Stacey Beth

I have learned that the kind of chocolate chip cookies that people like (thin and crispy or soft and chewy) is a hot topic. In my household, we go down the middle. My husband likes the thin and crispy with a soft middle and I like the soft and chewy. Our 2 year old loves either, so I have a win win no matter what I make.

In the spring of 2006, my husband and I were building a house and crammed into a small apartment during the interim between our old house and new house. I was just barely into my baking adventures when he looked at me one day and said that he really would like some thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies. I looked at him like he was crazy because most of my baking things were in a random box and I was still learning and trying new things.

I found the random box, took my supplies out and started testing different things. Below is what works for me and the cookies come out fabulous everytime. What I learned is that it is the balance of the white sugar to the brown sugar that makes most of the difference on making a thin and crispy cookie. (Please forgive my ending photos - a setting changed on my camera and I am not quite sure what the problem is)

Here are the ingredients needed for this recipe:


1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with Reynolds parchment paper. Melt butter - Easy tip - melt both sticks in a coffee mug in the microwave for 1 minute.

2. Cream together the melted butter and sugars for about a minute and thirty seconds, until pale and fluffy. I put the sugars in the bowl first, poor the melted butter on top and then start mixing.

3. Pour in the egg, vanilla and milk. Mix for another minute.


4. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt on a low speed until everything is fully incorporated, about a minute. Easy tip – for this recipe I just measure out the dry ingredients into the same bowl of the wet ones to save myself from washing an extra bowl.


5. Once the dry and wet ingrediants are fully incorporated, mix in the chocolate chips with a spoon.



6. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. (This is REALLY important and many people try to hurry the process. Do not be one of those people.)

7. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough and place on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart . Easy tip – use an ice cream scoop – they will all be the exact same size.


8. Bake for 11-12 minutes rotating the cookie sheet 180 degrees after 6 minutes for even baking.

9. Let cookies set on baking sheet for 5-6 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container.This yields 3 dozen cookies.




Check in tomorrow for another tasty treat.
For health and strength and daily Bread, We give you thanks, O Lord.

Stacey Beth
Stacey Beth

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17 –

No comments:

Share Just Plain Sweet for You.