Saturday, October 1, 2011

Portobello and Red Pepper Sandwiches from Eat Right America and Whole Foods prepared and eaten by A Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Portobello and Red Pepper Sandwiches

from 

www.eatrightamerica.com

Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
SANDWICH
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
4 whole wheat pitas
2 cups (40 g) large arugula leaves
2 medium drained roasted red bell peppers, from jar, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) thick slices
TAHINI SPREAD
3/4 cup (187.5 mL) raw tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest
1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
1 large pitted medjool date, chopped or 2 deglet noor
1 small clove garlic, chopped
Instructions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange mushrooms and onions on baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make tahini spread by blending all spread ingredients together. When mushrooms/onions are done, split pitas in half horizontally and warm slightly. Spread generous amount of tahini spread on top half of split pita. Place 1/2 cup arugula on bottom half and then, 1 mushroom cap (pat dry with paper towels to absorb liquid), sliced onion and roasted red pepper.


Terry and I were debating lunch today.  I always consult my ERA cookbook or hop on line to find something good.  This is what we are eating! YUMMM I cannot wait. I have to substitute Romaine for the Arugula leaves and I do not use the Bragg Liquid Aminos as I cannot do SOY products.  I love how they incorporate dates in so many recipes so I keep them handy.  Tonight is Salmon and sweet potatoes. So lunch is light.


For health and strength and daily Bread,  We give you thanks, O Lord.
Check in tomorrow for another tasty treat.
Stacey Beth  and Laurie
 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17 –

1 comment:

Grammie Jan said...

I wish that I liked the foods that so many recipes call for on these healthy eating sites. But I am happy for you two that you have such varied taste-buds that allow you to eat all those things.
My food tastes are very basic so I stick with eating the things I like but in much smaller quantities.
Have a great Sunday!
Love you.

Share Just Plain Sweet for You.